This recipe sticks out in my mind for one reason in particular. Last year, I was invited to a bridal shower for one of my college friends named Morgan. The shower was themed around kitchen items and recipes, so each guest was asked to fill out a recipe card with one of their favorite recipes. Now, you have to understand that to ask ME to choose a favorite recipe – well, its not possible. So I had to think beyond my favorite. I had to think, “what is something fairly easy and quick to prepare? Something full of flavor, filling and with readily available ingredients? Something a new bride can make her new husband to put a big smile on his face? A recipe to save for the long run and possibly make for kids down the road?” The answer….these creamy chicken enchiladas. I’m not sure if Morgan has made this recipe yet but I need to ask her the next time I see her!
In some ways, the word “enchilada” is misleading for this recipe. “Enchilada” implies a spicy red sauce, right? Well, this dish has no red sauce – instead, its a creamy sauce that reminds me of the sour cream chicken burrito at On the Border. Whatever name you want to give it, you just have to try it – its amazing!
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
1 TBS butter
1/2 C chopped green onions
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C sour cream
3 chicken breasts, cooked* and diced
1.5 C shredded cheddar cheese
4 large flour tortillas
1/4 C milk
cayenne, salt, pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray small casserole pan with PAM.
2. In small saucepan, sautee green onion in butter. In medium bowl, mix green onion, garlic powder, green chiles, mushroom soup and sour cream. Add a pinch of salt, pepper and cayenne.
3. In separate medium bowl, take 1/4 of the creamy mixture and add diced chicken. Mix well.
4. In each flour tortilla, sprinkle 1/4 C cheese in the middle. Top with chicken mixture. Roll up and put into the prepared pan.
5. Mix 1/4 C milk into the remaining creamy mixture. Pour this over the flour tortillas. Top with remaining 1/2 C cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.