Now, treats has a broad definition. Treats might mean steaks on the grill for dinner; or veal-stuffed pasta at Cascone’s; or Tanqueray and tonics for happy hour; or biscuits and gravy for breakfast. With our choice of honey, apple butter, sugarfree jam, or regular jam.
Sometimes – I kid you not – there’s even cheesecake. For snack. Just because.
I married well, did I not?
I’d like to share with you one of Brett’s most favorite recipes from “back home.” This is something his mom has been making for years, and it quickly became clear that I haven’t. The first thing that Brett said when I pulled it out of the oven?
“Its not supposed to look like that.”
Hello Dolly’s – compliments of Ellen Walbridge, my mother-in-law
1/2 C butter
1 C graham cracker crumbs
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 C butterscotch chips
1 C coconut
1 C crushed walnuts or pecans
1 (15oz) can EagleBrand sweetened condensed milk
1. Melt the butter; mix in graham cracker crumbs. Pat mixture into 8×8 square baking pan.
2. Layer the remaining ingredients over the crumbs in order given.
3. Drizzle condensed milk over everything, ensuring nothing is left uncovered. Do not stir.
4. Lick the lid of the condensed milk. Its really good. Kind of disgusting, but really, really good.
5. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Refridgerate and cut into bars when cool.
To fully appreciate this picture, click on it. It would be a shame to not click on it. You know you want to.